Go Back   BayernZone - FC Bayern München Forum > Football talk > Rest of the World

Old 16-11-2017, 02:00   #61
Bayer
Oh, bother!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muller25 View Post
Bc every other American professional sport is divided that way. Doesn't make it right. But that's my guess as to why. NFL (AFC/NFC) MLB (AL/NL) NBA (WC/EC) NHL (WC/EC).
I knew that - but in the NBA for instance there are that many teams it makes sense - in the MLS just not yet - but must be a trend going on there hence it makes sense nonetheless!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey View Post
US would rather see more local rivalry matches. IMO (and those of my Americans I'd say) a local match like Seattle vs Portland is worth 10 matches of some random match-up like Seattle vs. DC.
Fair enough, but having those games that often doesn't make them somewhat less special though?
Old 16-11-2017, 03:02   #62
Grey
Free Cascadia

Quote:
Fair enough, but having those games that often doesn't make them somewhat less special though?
You could argue that, sure. I'd imagine most people here see it the opposite - just because we get the privilege of viewing more of the rival match-ups we like doesn't mean those matches are less important, only that we prioritize them more.

For what it's worth, I tend to agree with you Bayer. My own soccer experience began with looking at Europe. It was only just before I moved out west to Seattle that I started following MLS. The way the league is structure was definitely something I had to get used to because you're right- it's quite weird and very different from Europe.
BZ Staff Member Most 'liked' poster BZ Squad member10
Old 16-11-2017, 06:25   #63
L4nd3r
Uli 2.0 RAUS

Also, the draft system in the MLS sucks balls.
BZ Squad member27
Old Yesterday, 02:51   #64
Bayer
Oh, bother!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey View Post
You could argue that, sure. I'd imagine most people here see it the opposite - just because we get the privilege of viewing more of the rival match-ups we like doesn't mean those matches are less important, only that we prioritize them more.

For what it's worth, I tend to agree with you Bayer. My own soccer experience began with looking at Europe. It was only just before I moved out west to Seattle that I started following MLS. The way the league is structure was definitely something I had to get used to because you're right- it's quite weird and very different from Europe.
Haha you know, for that reason I've always been against the idea of this so-called proposal of the European SuperLeague - because you know, even if you could treat yourself to caviar and champagne every day - you'd most likely end up craving for a simple dish of boiled rice on the long run nonetheless.

Saying that, I have to say it is quite fun to notice how things change across different countries. Always been fascinated about how sports & competitions are run in the US (and approached by its fans) - I sense that in this country - more than anywhere else - you can easily stumble upon loads of anecdotes that have little to do with the sport itself at times and yet they convey a pretty reliable picture about the society & its traditions. No wonder USA have a huge tradition for sport narratives/epic (+ loads of books and storytellers for that) whereas here in Europe (especially in Italy) any sport is usually seen as something to be made fun of - for comedy. But at the end of the day highlighting the epic moments of any sport is the humus that turns any mere interest into passion and the reason why nowadays some events are that meaningful.