Go Back   BayernZone - FC Bayern München Forum > Football talk > Rest of the World

Old 03-11-2017, 05:20   #46
Grey
Free Cascadia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayer View Post
Have always had sympathy towards Seattle Sounders because they are the only MLS team I've ever coached on FM (and their stadium is amazing). Was happy for their victory last season - now I see Toronto are dominating. If not Seattle then I hope they'll go on winning the whole thing. Also because of Giovinco, of course haha - talking about him, how's he doing? Yeah his stats are phenomenal - but does he play good overall or stats lie? There's a huge debate going on here in Italy about whether he should be called up for the NT or not.

Oh and always wanted to ask - what's your take on the playoffs for the title? Do they make justice?
Sorry Bayer, I missed this. Giovinco is great, superb player who could rightfully claim to be the league's best. At the very least top 3. Toronto is indisputably the best team in the league, so it only amplifies just how great Giovinco is. It would be interesting seeing him called up for the NT. I think there's a strong similarity between Italy's Giovinco in MLS and France's Gignac in Liga MX (Mexico). Mexico is slightly stronger than MLS, but it's a very similar comparison. Gignac's been called up to the NT, but he's been pretty meh. Not terribly, but not great. I'd expect something similar from Giovinco.

Sorry, I'm not sure what you meant by your last question. "Make justice?"

BTW, Seattle is currently (like at this very second) playing Vancouver in the playoffs. 1st leg in Vancouver ended 0-0, Seattle is currently up at home in the 2nd leg by 1-0.
BZ Staff Member Most 'liked' poster BZ Squad member10
Old 06-11-2017, 08:03   #47
Grey
Free Cascadia

Semifials: Seattle vs Houston and Toronto vs Columbus crew

Looks like we're set for a rematch, SCT. I don't fancy our odds any more than last time.
Old 06-11-2017, 15:25   #48
rohr
meeehhh

Houston will win the league, and stfu grey
BZ Squad member13
Old 06-11-2017, 20:28   #49
Kroos39
BZ Member

Crew baby! Nah, I don't see Crew getting past Toronto unless they put in big win at home again like against New York.

I'm betting it'll be Houston v Toronto, with Toronto taking it all. But Seattle v Houston will be close
Old 06-11-2017, 22:00   #50
Grey
Free Cascadia

Wtf is a Houston???
Old 06-11-2017, 22:03   #51
Kroos39
BZ Member

Currently a pretty hot town with the Hurricane and the Astros
Old 06-11-2017, 22:05   #52
Grey
Free Cascadia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroos39 View Post
Currently a pretty hot town with the Hurricane and the Astros
Sounds like they're in need for some brisk, sobering Seattle rain~
Old 06-11-2017, 22:13   #53
Kroos39
BZ Member

Haha maybe, I expect a good game
Old 08-11-2017, 19:54   #54
rohr
meeehhh

The team will play with an extra dose of motivation, to bring joy to the people who got flooded due to the hurricane. Seattle is just a city with a bunch dirty hippies. Lol

TBH Seattle has the better team of the two. But at this stage anything can happen.
BZ Squad member13
Old 08-11-2017, 20:28   #55
Grey
Free Cascadia

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohr View Post
The team will play with an extra dose of motivation, to bring joy to the people who got flooded due to the hurricane. Seattle is just a city with a bunch dirty hippies. Lol

TBH Seattle has the better team of the two. But at this stage anything can happen.
See for example: Last year's cup final, where vastly inferior Seattle beat Toronto.
Old 12-11-2017, 12:38   #56
Bayer
Oh, bother!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey View Post
Sorry Bayer, I missed this. Giovinco is great, superb player who could rightfully claim to be the league's best. At the very least top 3. Toronto is indisputably the best team in the league, so it only amplifies just how great Giovinco is. It would be interesting seeing him called up for the NT. I think there's a strong similarity between Italy's Giovinco in MLS and France's Gignac in Liga MX (Mexico). Mexico is slightly stronger than MLS, but it's a very similar comparison. Gignac's been called up to the NT, but he's been pretty meh. Not terribly, but not great. I'd expect something similar from Giovinco.

Sorry, I'm not sure what you meant by your last question. "Make justice?"

BTW, Seattle is currently (like at this very second) playing Vancouver in the playoffs. 1st leg in Vancouver ended 0-0, Seattle is currently up at home in the 2nd leg by 1-0.
Oh I'm sorry for the delay, too, have had quite a few troubles accessing this website. I have to say from what I saw - I agree with you. I also want Giovinco in the NT - he's in a great shape and given how physically demanding the MLS is, he'd deserve it. There are usually 40 players called up from MLS teams on a regular basis so it speaks volumes for the league, too, quite a good amount. I think Spain also did something very similar with Villa.

I mean - do you think the playoff-system is fair the way it is set? I mean, you see this Toronto team doing amazing and waltzing to the 1st place in the league, but it is not enough to claim the whole thing, you see they have to play more games in order to lift the trophy and become champions. And I don't understand why a team that finished 10th in the overall standing would deserve a shot at winning the trophy on playoffs. We have the very same system in the lower leagues in Italy and I never understood why - hence I was looking for different opinions on this matter haha!

Anyways exciting semifinals. I'd love to see the remake of last year's final, but it won't be easy for both. I think Columbus have been very good this season. Hope both Seattle and Toronto will advance to the final again!
Old 12-11-2017, 19:51   #57
Grey
Free Cascadia

It's hard to say really, but it's worth noting that MLS doesn't exactly have a real "overall table." Sure you could just combine the results from the eastern and western divisions, but that will lead to eastern teams looking artificially stronger and western teams looking artificially weaker. It's no secret that the western league has much greater parity - any team could beat any team, and the results reflect this. Not (as) true in the eastern league. So ultimately what you get is a situation where the western table's leaders only rack up as many points as 5th place in the eastern league. If you were to simply combine the tables, Portland and Seattle (tied on points in the western league at 1st and 2nd places, respectively) would be 6th and 7th in the overall standings. If you watch the teams play however, it would be silly to think that NYCFC, Chicago, Atlanta, and COlumbus are superior teams - they simply had a slightly easier average competition. That said, I do believe that leaders Toronto are actually as far above the competition as their table position says, or at least close to it.

I guess my point here is that the MLS cup is a way to get a clearer picture of the entire league's parity. It's not perfect and suffers from many of the flaws of other knockout competitions, but I think it's necessary for bringing both halves of the league together.

Last edited by Grey; 13-11-2017 at 23:16.
Old 13-11-2017, 23:44   #58
Bayer
Oh, bother!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey View Post
It's hard to say really, but it's worth noting that MLS doesn't exactly have a real "overall table." Sure you could just combine the results from the eastern and western divisions, but that will lead to eastern teams looking artificially stronger and western teams looking artificially weaker. It's no secret that the western league has much greater parity - any team could beat any team, and the results reflect this. Not (as) true in the eastern league. So ultimately what you get is a situation where the western table's leaders only rack up as many points as 5th place in the eastern league. If you were to simply combine the tables, Portland and Seattle (tied on points in the western league at 1st and 2nd places, respectively) would be 6th and 7th in the overall standings. If you watch the teams play however, it would be silly to think that NYCFC, Chicago, Atlanta, and COlumbus are superior teams - they simply had a slightly easier average competition. That said, I do believe that leaders Toronto are actually as far above the competition as their table position says, or at least close to it.

I guess my point here is that the MLS cup is a way to get a clearer picture of the entire league's parity. It's not perfect and suffers from many of the flaws of other knockout competitions, but I think it's necessary for bringing both halves of the league together.
Interesting read with interesting points shedding some light as usual! I have a question though popping up my mind right away - why is the MLS divided into eastern and western divisions? I mean - what's the point in it. Can't be due to the distance between the locations of all the teams throughout the country since they do get to play each other nonetheless, and it's not like there are too many teams (it's just 22 - a pretty fair amount of teams if you ask me). Maybe in the future with more teams joining it but now what's the point?
Old 14-11-2017, 03:55   #59
Muller25
BZ Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayer View Post
Interesting read with interesting points shedding some light as usual! I have a question though popping up my mind right away - why is the MLS divided into eastern and western divisions? I mean - what's the point in it. Can't be due to the distance between the locations of all the teams throughout the country since they do get to play each other nonetheless, and it's not like there are too many teams (it's just 22 - a pretty fair amount of teams if you ask me). Maybe in the future with more teams joining it but now what's the point?
Bc every other American professional sport is divided that way. Doesn't make it right. But that's my guess as to why. NFL (AFC/NFC) MLB (AL/NL) NBA (WC/EC) NHL (WC/EC).
Old 14-11-2017, 07:31   #60
Grey
Free Cascadia

US would rather see more local rivalry matches. IMO (and those of my Americans I'd say) a local match like Seattle vs Portland is worth 10 matches of some random match-up like Seattle vs. DC.