Go Back   BayernZone - FC Bayern München Forum > FC Bayern München > Players > Hall of Fame

Old 27-06-2009, 12:54   #1
Trim

Mario Gomez

Mario Gomez

Full name Mario Gómez García
Nationality Germany
Date of birth 10.07.1985
Place of birth Riedlingen, Germany
Height 1.89 m
Playing position Striker

Old 03-07-2009, 21:36   #2
Snake
BZ Member

Bigger, better, superior
Next step up suits medal-hungry Gomez

Quote:
Mario Gomez’ personal homepage is currently marked “under construction”. Fans will have to wait until mid-July before the 23-year-old’s presence on the world wide web appears in a polished and complete Bayern-like form. In real life, the man capped 25 times by Germany has been up and running in his new home town of Munich for several days now.

“I already had a number of friends here. It’s wonderful city,” declared Gomez during his first official news conference at the Säbener Strasse. The striker feels comfortable and thoroughly at home with his new club. “My first impressions are extremely favourable. It’s a lot of fun here,” the player said after completing his second training session with the country’s most successful club.

“Everything here is just a little bit bigger, better and superior to what I’ve had up to now,” he acknowledged. That was one of the reasons he opted to leave VfB Stuttgart in favour of Munich. “I’ve come here because Bayern are not only the number one club in Germany, but also up there at the top internationally.” The switch to Bayern represented “the next step” in his career.

Gomez is also looking for honours in his spell at the club. “I reckon there’ll be opportunities over the next few years,” he mused, thinking not only of the Bundesliga and DFB Cup but also the Champions League. The player is hoping to contribute as many goals as possible, “and repay Bayern’s faith in me.” Prising the 1.89 metre (6 ft 2 in) striker from VfB cost FCB a new Bundesliga record transfer fee.

However, Gomez does not feel under any special pressure, nor is he intimidated by the fierce competitive situation in the FCB forward line, where he, Miroslav Klose, Luca Toni, Ivica Olic and young Thomas Müller are battling for two places in the team. “I have no idea who’ll form the strike pairing,” Gomez commented, “that’s the coach’s decision. I’m just looking forward to life at Bayern, and the games I’m picked to play.”
http://www.fcbayern.t-home.de/en/new...2009/19951.php
Top poster
Old 21-07-2009, 11:48   #3
Snake
BZ Member

Shared goals
Gomez: We get on very well with each other

Quote:
Mario Gomez has had to get used to a lot of changes since joining Bayern three weeks ago, including a new coach and staff, new team-mates, and a new life in a new city. However, the record signing appears enthused by his first few weeks with Munich. "It would be hard not to like it," Gomez reflected during the club's summer training camp in Donaueschingen.

Nevertheless, Gomez will surely have been pleased to find a few constant and recognisable elements amidst all the profound changes. The Öschberghof on the edge of the Black Forest is where his former club VfB Stuttgart traditionally prepare for the new campaign, especially successfully in the case of the Swabians' stunning 2006-7 Bundesliga triumph.

Bayern also laid the foundations for their 21st league title in Donaueschingen back in the summer of 2007, but Gomez is well aware that trusting in superstition and lucky omens is no way to guarantee success on the field of play. The training camp is a place for punishing fitness work and tactical routines, as head coach Louis van Gaal demands total commitment from his players both physically and mentally.

Mental and physical effort

"The coach insists we concentrate fully in every session, and that's almost as difficult as a 20 kilometre run," Gomez reported after his initial exposure to the Dutch school of coaching, although the striker more than approves of the approach. "What matters is being the best team and not the fittest. It's all worthless if we don't end up winning the title," Gomez declared.

The player thus regards the programme of friendlies leading up to the resumption of competitive hostilities in early August more as part of the training schedule and less as indicators of the team's progress. "The most important thing in pre-season isn't your opponents, but rather working on your fitness and coming together as a team," the goal-getter said on the eve of a trip to fourth division Stuttgarter Kickers. Lower league opponents were "often more difficult because they're so highly motivated."

Gomez has been a model of motivation himself in training so far. Van Gaal is currently sorting between four top-notch strikers and youngster Thomas Müller before settling on a first-choice strike pair. The battle with Miroslav Klose, Luca Toni and Ivica Olic for a regular berth was more of a collective effort than a full-blooded fight, Gomez insisted.

"Lots of people are saying we're rivals. But we have shared goals, the strikers included. And we'll only succeed if we play together. If we all just do our own thing, we'll fail." Certain quarters of the media would seemingly prefer a bitter and acrimonious contest, "but actually, we all get on very well".
http://www.fcbayern.t-home.de/en/new...2009/20130.php
Top poster
Old 21-07-2009, 17:47   #4
Miguel.
Ombudsman.

I appreciate his work rate and his ability to create chances, he also provides us with something different than Toni and Klose, since his movement off the ball is much better than Toni's and he has a lot more presence inside the box than Klose. But, he needs to start scoring!
Old 31-08-2009, 15:44   #5
Trim

Gomez keen to help turn Bayern around

Quote:
"I don't intend to be intimidated by the transfer fee or the size of this club," begins the supremely-confident Gomez, who still seems to be in bullish mood despite Bayern's poor start to the Bundesliga campaign. "Bayern made an offer, Stuttgart accepted. In fact, I'm pretty proud of the amount Bayern paid for me as it shows how highly they rate me as a striker. It's a wonderful boost to my self-belief as well as a great source of motivation. I know I have to repay the faith they have shown in me.

"I won't change the way I play. My method is to always give everything I have on the pitch, to make sure that at the end of 90 minutes I have no regrets. I'll be the same at Bayern and I'm sure it will work out well."

"At this moment, I feel that Bayern is the best possible address for me," he states. "Until now, Stuttgart was my only club and while I had a fantastic time there, helping them win the Bundesliga in 2007 and taking part in the Champions League, I was keen to take the next step up and Bayern was the logical choice.

"Even though I'd never criticise Stuttgart as they made me the player I am, Bayern is another world. All over the planet their name means something and, by moving here, I think I've given myself the best possible chance to win more trophies and improve as a player.

"I'm under no illusion as to what I've let myself in for. I know there will be intense competition for places up front and I have enormous respect for the abilities of Miroslav Klose, Luca Toni and Ivica Olic. They are fantastic players and I don't for an instant assume that I will start automatically.

"The coach, Mr (Louis) Van Gaal, is not the sort to give guarantees. He will not look at reputations or fees when choosing his first-eleven. He'll be judging us solely on how we perform on match day and on the training ground and I'm not put off by the need to constantly prove myself and fight for a place.

"If I was even one per cent uncertain about signing for Bayern, I would not have come. If I'm not ready to take up the Bayern challenge now, I never will be. I've been ready for some time, I think.

"Of course, strikers are in the business of goals and are judged on numbers, but I've never set myself a target at the beginning of a season," he continues. "Anyway, my main target is to do my bit to push Bayern to the top of the table. For instance I'd rather score the decisive goal in a 2-1 victory than the last four in a 5-0. Team trophies are far more important than scoring awards.

"I've always backed myself to get into decent positions in the box and put the ball in the back of the net. It can only be to my advantage that Louis van Gaal stands for attacking football so I should get plenty of chances."

"Naturally Bayern is my top priority, but I hope to benefit as an international player from this move," he concludes. "With world-class players all around me at Bayern and the experience I gain from the Champions League, I should develop my game in so many different ways. The aim is not to stand still and I want to reach new, even higher levels.

"Euro 2008 was a setback, but I have left it far behind me. I'm a positive character and have taken heart from still being in the plans of the Bundestrainer (Joachim Low). I'm not one to be easily satisfied. My secret is to always look for the next objective. I'm certain the best is yet to come from me for both Bayern and Germany."
Complete article: Gomez keen to turn Bayern around - Europe - ESPN Soccernet

Old 31-08-2009, 16:37   #6
kala
Head Coach

^ nice words from Gomez... wish him all of luck and Goals ofcourse
Old 31-08-2009, 17:02   #7
Filo
BZ Member

Quote:
Anyway, my main target is to do my bit to push Bayern to the top of the table. For instance I'd rather score the decisive goal in a 2-1 victory than the last four in a 5-0. Team trophies are far more important than scoring awards.
That's all I wanted to hear. Good luck Mario, I know you can do it at Bayern!
BZ Squad member26
Old 31-08-2009, 19:34   #8
BayernLeben
Banned

He's already done good to the club and can only get better. I do like however that LvG doesn't respect names and will play those with good form -- just like what Happened between Rensing and Butt. It will force better performances. That was the problem last season with JK, even when Poldi had better form than Klose or Toni at times he wasn't really a starter.
Old 31-08-2009, 21:14   #9
Tomas
BZ Member

^ amen to that! Im not worried about Gomez at all. I am a bit worried about Klose though. I dont know if its just me or that he is getting injured more than usual and taking longer to recover?? I also hope that Toni will be match fit soon. I am eager to see if he is Toni from last season or Toni from 2 seasons ago.
Old 31-08-2009, 23:46   #10
Filo
BZ Member

Well even Toni of last season scored 16 goals... he never stopped scoring he just missed a lot of goals.
BZ Squad member26
Old 01-09-2009, 13:39   #11
Urban Legend
Murder INC

Gomez is going to make hes way,if not this seasone than the next One
Old 01-09-2009, 16:53   #12
keniks
Ein Land, Ein Nation

I hope so but he looks kind of stupid sometimes in front of goal
Old 02-09-2009, 06:00   #13
Tattooedsean
AztattooedSean

What is it about are center striker role that makes people have to miss 10 easy shots for each goal they score?
Old 02-09-2009, 15:45   #14
Tomas
BZ Member

^it might be the possibility of too many choices! Too much thinking leads to hesitation which often leads to failure.
Old 17-09-2009, 20:52   #15
Trim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trim View Post
"Bild" claims Van Gaal was so upset about his performance against Dortmund that he criticized him in front of the whole team at half-time.
Gomez has confirmed that this has happened in Dortmund.

"I didn't come here to sit on the bench, that's not my goal. I might have lost too many balls, but I scored the vital 1-1."

"I have to accept the decision, but I'm not happy about it. I'm not in a slump. I won't go crazy over it, I will do my best in training."

"When I joined Bayern I knew I wouldn't play every game, although I would love to do that."

http://www.sport1.de/de/fussball/fus...el_152874.html