Go Back   BayernZone - FC Bayern München Forum > FC Bayern München > Players > Hall of Fame

Old 27-06-2009, 13:12   #1
Trim

Mark van Bommel

Mark van Bommel

Full name Mark Peter Gertuda Andreas van Bommel
Nationality Netherlands
Date of birth 22.04.1977
Place of birth Maasbracht, Netherlands
Height 1.87 m
Playing position Central Midfielder / Defensive Midfielder

Old 07-07-2009, 01:15   #2
Ramy
BZ Member

Van Bommel: I feel good about the new season

Quote:
Netherlands international Mark van Bommel has been at Bayern for three years now – and has already been managed by four head coaches. As of this term, his fellow countryman Louis van Gaal has taken over the Munich helm with the aim of leading FCB to silverware. fcbayern.de spoke to the inspirational 32-year-old midfield man about the new boss, his training methods, and the job of captain at the club.

Interview: Mark Van Bommel

fcbayern.de: Mark, you had a team brunch on Sunday. How was it?
Mark van Bommel: “Very good. We have a few newcomers this season, so a team building session was good in terms of helping the new guys integrate. And we had the wives and girlfriends there too, which is great for the overall atmosphere. The wives get to know each other better. And as we all know: men always do better when their women are feeling good (laughs).”

fcbayern.de: What are your impressions after six days’ training under new boss Louis van Gaal?
Mark Van Bommel: “Very good indeed. He know exactly what he wants, and he’s always very direct. Before every session, he tells us what he’s expecting and what he wants to see. And if we make mistakes, he points out exactly what went wrong. He has his own style, but it’s very benevolent. And he’s laid down rules for our ‘community’, but you can do what you want within the rules.”

fcbayern.de: It’s been interesting to see the squad practising certain passing moves repeatedly and for minutes on end.
Van Bommel: “That’s right. He wants us doing things automatically, so we gain a second or two in matches, in that we always have solutions for certain situations. Everyone knows exactly what he has to do, where he should move, and where he can direct a pass, or where he has to run if we’re pressing. That’s what makes a good team. That allows you to control and dominate a game.”

fcbayern.de: How’s the team reacted to the training methods?
Van Bommel: “I think the team’s picking it all up well, because we know we’ll all improve as a result. The coach also explains very clearly why we do each exercise. We need that to stop us running around like headless chickens.”

fcbayern.de: What lies behind these methods? What kind of football do you think you’ll be playing next season?
Van Bommel: “I think it’s fair to call it controlled offensive football. When we’re in possession, we’ll use the whole of the pitch and try to avoid losing the ball too quickly, especially in our own half. We’ll only take risks up front, never near our own goal. And when our opponents are in possession, we’ll use a pressing game to deny them any options to pass.”

fcbayern.de: And where will you be playing this season?
Van Bommel: “Up to now I’ve been one of two defensive midfielders in front of the back four. If we use a diamond, like we’ve had in training so far, I can also play right midfield. Those are the two positions where I’m at my best. I can play elsewhere too, but at the end of the day, it’s up to the coach.”

fcbayern.de: Anatoliy Tymoshchuk has arrived as a holding midfielder. What do you think of him?
Van Bommel: “He’s a good player. We met by chance at the airport a couple of weeks ago and travelled together into town. We had a nice chat. He’s a good lad, like all the other new guys. I’m sure we could play well together.”

fcbayern.de: You took over as captain from Oliver Kahn last season. Van Gaal hasn’t named his captain yet, but says that whoever it is will always play.
Van Bommel: “Then I’d have nothing against staying as captain (laughs). But seriously, I was very proud of being named captain last term and would be delighted to continue. But if I don’t, it’s not the end of the world. The important thing is a well-functioning team.”

fcbayern.de: You spent a long time considering whether to extend your contract with Bayern. Was it the right decision?
Van Bommel: “Yes, absolutely. I initially wanted a two-year deal back then, so I could plan a little longer term for me and my family, but the club only offered me a year. That’s why I needed a good think about it, but it would have been hard to decide against Bayern Munich. I know what I’ve got with this club, and now we have a coach whose ideas I can easily identify with. I have a good feeling about the coming season.”
http://www.fcbayern.t-home.de/en/new...12c3612ec104ae
Old 02-08-2009, 10:25   #3
Trim

According to the "News of the World", Tottenham Hotspur are interested in Mark van Bommel.

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/spor...y-to-move.html

Old 02-08-2009, 11:47   #4
Wavy
Asshole in charge

sell him for a bag of chips
BZ Staff Member BZ Squad member5
Old 09-08-2009, 19:00   #5
MrBayerns
4ever in my heart

Van Bommel out for four weeks with broken toe

Quote:
With the season just a couple of games old, and Martin Demichelis already ruled out for the first two months with ankle ligament damage, Bayern have suffered another unwanted injury setback with the loss of Mark van Bommel for up to four weeks, after the Dutchman ruptured a tendon and broke his right big toe in Saturday’s Bundesliga opener away to Hoffenheim.

“It’s a real blow for me personally, especially as it’s all started so well,“ commented Van Bommel, who will undergo surgery on Monday. The 32-year-old responded to the injury with a typically fighting reaction. “I’ll be back as soon as I can, and I’ll pick it all up where I’ve left off.“ The injury was diagnosed and treatment prescribed by FCB chief medic Dr Hans-Wilhelm Müller-Wohlfahrt.

Van Bommel sustained the injury as Saturday’s match at the Rhein-Neckar Arena entered its closing stages. The captain battled on but signalled his inability to continue after 80 minutes. Ukraine star Anatoliy Tymoshchuk came on as a sub, making his Bundesliga debut in the process.
http://www.fcbayern.t-home.de/en/new...2009/20363.php
Old 09-08-2009, 19:16   #6
René
#4 Phenomenon

I just read that MvB will be out for a month for breaking his big toe.

Good news, in my eyes. One, because it will teach him not to be so radical when tackling. You can get hurt yourself by doing that. Second, Tymo will get his chance.
BZ Squad member4
Old 09-08-2009, 19:56   #7
spotman
Schickeria München

This is great news!!! As bad as this is to say, I'd be soo happy if he got injured for the entire season!! Tymo deserves that spot - Van Gaal is just siding with Van Bommel because he's dutch. Hopefully Tymo will please Van Gaal enough that when Van Bommel comes back - he's on the bench. Our captain should be Lahm anyway - Bayern needs a German captain.
Old 09-08-2009, 21:02   #8
Ovplain
Vault dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBayerns View Post
breiked thumb
BROKEN, guy.:P

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotman View Post
Van Gaal is just siding with Van Bommel because he's dutch.
Again with this stupidity. Some of you keep saying that and I have no idea why. Bayern has NO ONE else at the present time that could lead the team. Sad but true. Do I like it? No. I do not. It's a fucked up situation. Seeing as van Gaal wants his captain to always play. But I am definitely certain that it has nothing to do with nationality. Klinsmann should've chosen Lucio in the first place. Van Gaal doesn't have that option. Lahm might be a good option in a couple years, but not now sadly.

I'm not happy that the man got injured. But I do hope that Tymoschuk does well and proves himself.

Last edited by Ovplain; 09-08-2009 at 21:06.
Old 10-08-2009, 00:26   #9
freelanz
King of NorKal

Today i had a good laugh going onto BILD website and seeing the headline of "RAMBO VAN BOMMEL" Made my day

Happy to see him get a card on the stat sheet, I expect him to lead the bundesliga this year. In 3 years with us he's averaged 9 yellows and a red per season. Looking for him to step his game up this year to 12 and 3 respectively
Old 10-08-2009, 08:14   #10
Snake
BZ Member

That wouldnt be a problem for him.....
Top poster
Old 10-08-2009, 13:53   #11
Snake
BZ Member

INJURED VAN BOMMEL COULD FACE BAN

Quote:
Bayern Munich midfielder Mark van Bommel risks being suspended after tangling with Hoffenheim's Isaac Vorsah in their Bundesliga match at the weekend.

Van Bommel, who has already been ruled out for up to four weeks after breaking his toe in the game, was not punished for a violent push on the Hoffenheim defender midway through the first half, but television pictures clearly show the incident.

Since referee Babak Rafati, who also failed to spot a valid goal scored by the home team in the 10th minute, did not award a foul, the German Football Association (DFB) is able to take retrospective action and ban the Dutchman.

"Scenes like that may belong to American Football, but not to football," said Bayern's president Franz Beckenbauer, who was working as a pundit for Sky television.

Van Bommel has developed a reputation as an aggressive, no-holds-barred midfielder and he has already been sent off three times in the last two years.

But clubs hoping to come up against a weakened Bayern midfield in the coming weeks will now have to deal with another tough customer in Anatoliy Tymoschuk, who has promised to battle equally hard in the absence of Van Bommel.

"Fear makes people weaker and forces them into errors," he told Munich's Tz newspaper.

"I am now even more motivated and will do all I can to get my position in the team."
http://www.sportinglife.com/football...TEAMHD=germany
Top poster
Old 11-08-2009, 13:30   #12
SaYeB
Oliver Kahnner

I can't get the Idea of MVB starting in our lineup, he isn't that good anymore.

ValGaal seem to have other plans for him, we wait and see.
Old 11-08-2009, 16:51   #13
Trim

Both, Louis van Gaal and Uli Hoeness said Mark van Bommel did nothing wrong against Hoffenheim.

Hoeness: "Is this basketball or what? What was Vorsah doing? He threw himself down and waited for the referee to show van Bommel the red card. It was nothing serious! He blocked the player, so it was a foul, the referee could blow the whistle."

"But, in no way this was an ugly scene. I can think of three much worse scenes involving Salihovic off the top of my head."

"This is football and not an all-girls boarding school. I don't know if people would come to see the latter."

Old 12-08-2009, 08:23   #14
Snake
BZ Member

Hoeness about Van Bommel:

Quote:
“We really regret Mark getting injured. He was in great shape. But we have 25 players in the squad, precisely so we can deal with incidents like this. Tymoshchuk will play instead, so I don’t think we have a problem. I know he’ll play well.”
Top poster
Old 04-09-2009, 16:58   #15
Trim

Van Bommel anticipating lengthy recovery

Quote:
Bayern Munich captain Mark van Bommel admitted Friday that he could be sidelined for longer than expected with a broken toe.

"I still don't know when I can return," the Dutch international told the Munich daily Abendzeitung.

"There's no chance it will be against Dortmund," he added, referring to Bayern's next Bundesliga game on September 12.

Van Bommel, 32, underwent surgery after breaking his toe in the opening Bundesliga game of the season and had initially expected to be sidelined for a month.

The midfielder could however be fit for Bayern's Champions League clash against Juventus on September 30.
http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp...U6WkYR3eaR26WA