Go Back   BayernZone - FC Bayern München Forum > FC Bayern München > Players > Hall of Fame

Old 27-06-2009, 13:27   #1
Trim

Holger Badstuber

Holger Badstuber

Full name Holger Badstuber
Nationality Germany
Date of birth 13.03.1989
Place of birth Memmingen, Germany
Height 1.90 m
Playing position Defender

Old 29-06-2009, 17:06   #2
Trim

Holger Badstuber will wear the number 28 shirt.

Old 13-07-2009, 22:13   #3
Filo
BZ Member

I have a really funny feeling that Badstuber will be given a real chance to prove himself this season.

Look at this article from fcb.de

Quote:
Model pupil Badstuber taking it as it comes

“I come from deepest Swabia,” explains Holger Badstuber, who hails from Rot an der Rot, a community of 4,000 souls on the Württemberg side of the border with Bavaria. He played for VfB Stuttgart youths until 2002, but when Bayern came calling, “I didn’t hesitate for a second. I’ve always been a Bayern fan.” Nowadays, Holger is a professional at his favourite club, and rates as the find of pre-season so far.

However, the 20-year-old is keeping his feet firmly on the ground. “The first few days have gone very well. I’m enjoying it,” he said, “but we still have three weeks of pre-season to go.” Badstuber speaks with a gentle Swabian accent, another sign that the youngster is not likely to get carried away just because Louis van Gaal has generally picked him for his embryonic first-choice line-up in training.

Delighted and proud

Naturally, Badstuber is “delighted and proud” at repeated praise from the coach, at the fact he is currently lining up alongside the likes of Mark van Bommel and Mario Gomez, and at his “life as a real pro”. But the central defender, who netted his first senior goal in the 11-0 win against Waging am See last Saturday, knows he still has everything to learn. “There’s no letting up now. I have to concentrate the whole time. I want to improve every day, and I’ve ended up with a great coach.”

Van Gaal is Badstuber’s latest guide and patron. The 20-year-old will be handed a chance, the boss has said. However, Holger’s father Hermann, a youth coach himself, was the first to recognise and develop the boy’s talent. “It was important to have him helping me as a coach and mentor,” Badstuber junior acknowledges.

Converted midfielder

At Bayern, he came under Hermann Gerland’s wing. “Only serious injury will stop him playing in the Bundesliga at some point,” the Tiger said a year ago when Badstuber was playing for him in the reserves, generally in defensive midfield. “Hermann Gerland always said I should be playing there. You develop better vision and you’re under greater pressure,” the player remarked.

Badstuber signed professional forms last February and officially joined the senior squad on 1 July, the highpoint of his career to date. It also represents a whole new chapter in his life. “I reckon he has a great future ahead of him,” said Hamit Altintop, “he’s a hard-working lad with tremendous ability.” Junior team boss Werner Kern feels the player has “the right mentality for professional football. Everything Badstuber does is for his football.”

Natural left-footer

The 20-year-old recognises he has a “minor advantage” in that he is a left-footer, uniquely among the club’s centre-backs. It has aided his stellar ascent under Van Gaal, although Badstuber has naturally impressed in other areas too. “I think I pass well, I’m good in the air and I’m quick enough. I’m aware of what I can do, although I still have plenty to learn.”

Holger is not even dreaming of claiming a regular berth in the team just yet. “I’m just staying relaxed, taking every training session and every game as it comes.” He is not a vocal presence in the dressing room. “I’m a young player and it’s not my place to be pushy,” he said. On the field, he lets his boots do the talking. “I have to prove myself and really go for it if I want to become established.” His initial target is to make his Bundesliga debut. “That’s what I’m really fired up for.” It can surely only be a matter of time.
http://www.fcbayern.t-home.de/en/new...2009/20034.php
BZ Squad member26
Old 14-07-2009, 11:17   #4
Trim

Badstuber says Terry and Pique are his role models. He likes Terry's physical game and his aerial presence.

He says Pique is a similar player to him - tall, lean and both-footed.

http://www.spox.com/de/sport/fussbal...fc-bayern.html

Old 21-07-2009, 20:49   #5
Trim

Badstuber has been called up to the U20 World Cup (from 25 September to 16 October) and would miss several Bundesliga and Champions League matches. FC Bayern don't want to release him and Badstuber prefers to stay, as club comes first for him.

http://www.tz-online.de/sport/fussba...er-418178.html

Old 24-07-2009, 23:30   #6
Ramy
BZ Member

The kid has a talent, will be intersting to watch him!
Old 14-08-2009, 17:24   #7
Trim

Badstuber set for home debut
‘A few butterflies, but I’m not nervous’

Quote:
Holger Badstuber was a member of the crowd when Bayern fell 5-2 at home to Werder Bremen eleven months ago, but the newly-capped U-21 international is now set for his home Bundesliga debut when the northerners visit again on Saturday. “Last season was a debacle, but we want to play better and win this season,” the 20-year-old declared ahead of the clash with the current German Cup holders.

The player admitted to bewilderment during last year’s encounter at the Allianz Arena. “When we went 5-0 down, I thought: this can’t be happening,” Badstuber reported. The 1.89m central defender now wants to play his part in ensuring the points stay in Munich this time. “We have the better team, and we’ll win,” Holger insisted.

Badstuber was plucked from the reserves and made a full member of the first team squad at the start of pre-season. “I was doing national service this time last year. Now I’m a professional footballer, and that’s all I do.” From the very first training session onwards, the player has enjoyed the support of Louis van Gaal and his coaching staff, featuring in the ‘A’ team for practice matches almost every time.

He has benefited from Van Gaal’s strong preference for a left-footed individual on the corresponding side of central defence, although Martin Demichelis was nevertheless selected to start the first competitive match of the campaign against Neckarelz. “The coach took me to one side and informed me about his decision. I accepted it, of course,” revealed Badstuber. However, the Argentine is out with ruptured ligaments at the moment, so the youngster started last week’s Bundesliga opener away to Hoffenheim.

Holger is not nervous ahead of his home debut in the league. “There are a few butterflies, but I did appear at the Allianz Arena in the AUDI Cup.” The 20-year-old faced AC Milan and Manchester United, performing with distinction against some of the biggest-name strikers in Europe, and icing the cake with a coolly converted penalty in the decisive shoot-out after the drawn final.

Asked to list his attributes, Badstuber named “strength in the air, good pace, and a good left foot.” Key areas for improvement are ”my right foot, and better awareness of what’s going on behind me.” Hermann Gerland will undoubtedly help Holger in his future development. Badstuber, FCB’s first German centre-half since the departure of Thomas Linke in 2005, described Van Gaal’s assistant as “the biggest influence on my career.” Gerland was in charge when the player made an explosive leap forward in the reserves last season.

Badstuber now intends to continue his progress with the senior squad. “I’m trying to show I’m worth my place in the Bayern team,” he commented. He has already won the confidence of his team-mates. “He’s a very good player, who absolutely has what it takes for Bayern. He’ll establish himself here over the long term,” said Michael Rensing.

Badstuber has already proved a hit in the nationwide virtual manager game operated by kicker magazine. He has been bought by some 80,000 users, more than any other player. “It’s great and I’m delighted,” he responded, “now I have to take my chance and do my best in every game, so the users get the points they’re looking for.” And that would mean Badstuber retaining his regular place under Van Gaal.
http://www.fcbayern.t-home.de/en/new...2009/20428.php

Old 13-11-2009, 19:37   #8
Trim

Van Gaal's praise for versatile Badstuber
'Outstanding defender'

Quote:
For the most recent game, at home to Schalke 04, Van Gaal sprang a surprise in the position. Neither Pranjic, nor Braafheid, nor indeed Lahm took the slot on the left of the back four. The man chosen for the job was Holger Badstuber. For the very first time in his career, the Germany U-21 international played at left-back – and earned glowing praise from his boss into the bargain. "I saw an outstanding left-sided defender today," Van Gaal commented after the draw with Schalke.

"The coach came to me and asked if I could play there. I told him that I believe in myself. Van Gaal explained a few things, and it wasn't a problem after that," Badstuber told the tz in the wake of his personal premiere. He was substituted after 64 minutes, "but that was because a muscle went tight," he revealed. Badstuber recovered swiftly and joined up with his country's U-21 squad at the start of this week.

Until the substitution, he had not missed a minute of any game in the Bundesliga and Champions League. During Martin Demichelis' lengthy lay-off with injury at the start of the campaign, Badstuber was first-choice at centre-half alongside Daniel van Buyten, performing with amazing consistency, week after week. Germany national coach Joachim Löw is reported to have the youngster on his radar already.

"Holger has come on extremely well, both as a player and as a personality," said Van Gaal, promptly shifting the player from left-sided centre-back to left full-back. "I didn't grow up as a centre-half," Badstuber remarked, "but the main thing is that we keep it tight at the back."

Van Gaal sees Badstuber the left-back as a viable option for the future. "It all depends on the internal competition. We have Braafheid as a left-sided defender, and Philipp Lahm can do the job as well," the Dutchman told fcbayern.de: "And against Schalke, Badstuber showed he can play there too. And Demichelis showed he can play as the left-sided centre-back." Van Gaal has previously preferred a naturally left-footed player in that position.

The Bayern coach certainly regards Badstuber as a regular member of the team. "He can play centre-half or full-back from now on," said Van Gaal, "and that's good, because I like versatile players who can fill more than one position."
FC Bayern

Old 13-11-2009, 20:54   #9
Tomas
BZ Member

^ "as a viable option for the future"? How about almost the ONLY option for the future. If we have Lahm set for RB, I dont see any other GOOD option for LB... Braafheid isnt it, Prajnic isnt it. Badstuber was great back there. The only thing that would have topped it off if he were to have blocked that header going in... he would have been our savior!
Old 19-01-2010, 23:18   #10
Filo
BZ Member

Real Madrid interested In Badstuber

Quote:
According to reports in Spain, Real Madrid have targeted Bayern Munich youngster Holger Badstuber.

The 20-year-old centre-back is very highly rated in the Bundesliga and having appeared for Germany at all levels of youth football, is now said to be pushing for a spot in Joachim Low’s 2010 World Cup squad.

Real Madrid have been hoping to bring in another central defender since the loss of Pepe to serious injury and reports in Spanish daily AS claim that the Blancos have their sights set on the German.

Badstuber made his debut against Hoffenheim on Bundesliga matchday one and has since become a first-team regular for Bayern.

Real Madrid are said to be preparing an offer worth €12 million for the young stopper however it is widely thought that if the Blancos hope to coax Bayern into a sale they may have to up their offer by a considerable amount.
http://goal.com/en/news/12/spain/201...efender-holger

Well no wonder here really, Holger only followed the foots of the infinite list of players that Madrid wants to have:

Young -> Starter in a good club -> More than 10 games playing OK or better

Real Madrid is like a desperate man looking for women. In the case of the desperate man, he asks everyone woman out in a desperate hope that 1 of those women could be what he looks. On Real Madrid's case, they buy every single player or try to buy them, in hope that they can find their salvation in them.

Pathetic!
BZ Squad member26
Old 04-02-2010, 16:39   #11
René
#4 Phenomenon

Quote:
According to a report in Kicker, Bundesliga titans Bayern Munich have successfully completed contract negotiations with versatile defender Holger Badstuber and highly rated attacker Thomas Mueller.

The 20-year-old Badstuber made his official debut for Bayern early on this season and hasn't missed a single match ever since. The left footed defender was being linked with Real Madrid earlier this month.

The report claims that both players have inked new contracts that run until the summer of 2014. Bayern Munich have yet to confirm the contract extensions, but an official statement is expected to be released later today.
BZ Squad member4
Old 04-02-2010, 17:17   #12
Filo
BZ Member

Confirmed by FC Bayern. Holger Badstuber extended his contract until 2014.

http://www.fcbayern.t-home.de/de/akt...c59bf2d9164506
BZ Squad member26
Old 04-02-2010, 20:35   #13
BayernLeben
Banned

He certainly solved our LB problem this season, and I am glad he extended, a great versatile player.
Old 23-06-2010, 07:44   #14
Charlie
Banned

Will never be an effective LB, fantastic CB and emergency LB.
Old 19-07-2010, 11:46   #15
Trim

Van Gaal says Contento is a better leftback than Badstuber, he will try to move the latter to LCB.

sueddeutsche.de